untitled

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Eeek...Leaving Tuesday Morning for Italy

Sorry I had not updated with the details of our trip. We will be flying out on Tuesday morning at 9:55am. This past week is a giant blur and I hope in middle of that blur I have accomplished something in preparation.

We headed to Minneapolis on Wednesday night so we could get our passports Thursday morning. We left Omaha at 8:00pm on Wednesday, got into Minneapolis at 2:30am, got to bed at 4:00am and the alarm went off at 6:50am. Somehow, Brad and I are operating on an energy of "We must do this" so it all worked out well. He drove the entire way there and back on little sleep but many red bulls (for Brad, I have a nursling who wouldn't do well on caffeine). The kids did great on the long amount of time in the car. Liviana had her Calliou videos but she did have a few times of difficulty and irritability. It makes me so sad when she gets so inconsolable. My "normal" mothering isn't enough so I am learning what works for her now vs. before.

Once again we have been so completely overwhelmed by the kindness of strangers. We have been able to relax a bit about finances while we are gone and not worry about how we will keep our home so we have a place to return to....a place to bring our babies home. That is a HUGE weight off our shoulders that adds to what is already a stressful life event. I can never thank all of you enough. I have an inbox full of messages on Facebook and my personal e-mail that I am slowly trying to get through. If you have e-mailed me and not heard back it doesn't mean that your message was not read. I just have not been able to respond to everyone with the travel plans, kids and wrapping up loose ends with my business. You have all touched me so much by your kind words and how you have all kept our family in your thoughts and prayers.

Liviana is having a pretty good week. She is feeling better and well...she has new Calliou movies thanks to the lovely Melissa Morris. She has been eating a ton and that makes me happy since I know we could easily be facing a feeding tube right now. She has those times where we don't know what is wrong or how to console her but we try to give her everything she needs and keep her happy and comfortable.

Giovanni has been battling a nasty cold for a week or so and I ended up putting him on an antibiotic so we could get him well before his treatment begins. He had such a nasty, wet, bronchial cough and I didn't want to risk it turning into something more serious. He is much better already. Other than the unsightly snotty nose he has been up, down and all around and he is WALKING :). He is so proud of himself and so darn CUTE. I will have to get a video of him before we leave (thanks for the video camera Missy :)). He things he is quite funny and has a new, boisterous laugh he lets out when he has done something to amuse himself. He is so big and healthy. I want him to stay that way.

I was scrolling through my old cell phone last night looking for a specific photo for someone. I had to scroll past numerous photos Miles took of the walls, floors and his own face WAY too many times (it is a cute face though). I would also pass photos of Liviana from a few months ago, smiling, walking...the walking was so hard to see. I just stared at them. She can't walk anymore....it is stunning how quickly it all happened. I have had dreams of her walking many times as I shout to everyone around, "Look, she can walk, it is a miracle". It is like a scene out of a movie but for those moments, even though it is just a dream I am sure I am smiling.

It is the little things....don't ever take your child walking for granted. Even if they are meandering too slow, taking their time, skipping...whatever...just let them, love them, admire their own pace, their own interest in taking life slowly and soaking it all in. I myself have gotten frustrated with my children walking too slow, doddeling, when I am in a hurry. I look at the simple act of a 3 year old walking much differently now. Bless her heart. She has handled the overnight (literally) loss of walking with much more grace than most adults ever could. She is the inspiration, not me.

Giovanni has fallen asleep on Brad and I need to get him to bed and keep plugging away at the packing, planning, e-mailing, etc etc. I don't like to fly...have I mentioned that. I don't. I will take comfort in us all being together but I may take a nice stiff drink too :).

A quick set of photos from Minneapolis.

































More before we leave on Tuesday morning. I didn't proofread this so I apologize for any horrible errors.

Hug your babies!

Amy

4 comments:

Dotty said...

praying for your travels and praying for everything to go smoothly. your whole family is an inspiration. big hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

Amy,
You are all in my thoughts & prayers. Praying for smooth travels and most importantly good outcomes!

God bless!

Jeanie Toney

Danielle @ Living Out Loud said...

Hi Amy,

I found your story through Facebook from many BCHS alums who were posting about your story. My heart is broken for you and your family. I truly think of and pray for you every day. I can't imagine. Really, I can't imagine how you are handling all of this. I am specifically praying for Giovanni's treatments to be successful in Italy and for your family to be able to somehow, amidst devastating circumstances, enjoy the togetherness that this unique trip will bring for you. God Bless You and your sweet babies. You have helped me put much into perspective through your words!

Love and prayers,
Danielle (Kuhn) Holtzman
Class of '92 from BCHS

Anonymous said...

Love and prayers heading your way . . .Give your babies a hug from me! I cherish my children more and more after reading your blog. God bless you~ Cassandre S. (KS)